Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A New Era

Last week Erik and I entered into a new era. We dropped our oldest child off at college. Lexi will be attending BYUI this fall and Spring (and hopefully beyond that!)I had several friends also saying goodbye to their college age students who were crying and sad etc... Is there something wrong with me that I didn't cry? I don't think so. I got somewhat sentimental the week before I went to get her. I was listening to some music when "Pretty Little Ponies" came on by Kenny Loggins. This song always takes me back about 15 years to when Lexi was 3 years old. I had enrolled her in a creative dance class. She was the youngest in her group and I remember watching her from the side of the stage during the recital. She was so tiny compared to the other girls, but did everything right on cue. I can see her in her white silky slip of a dress, with her long black hair down her back. I had this overwhelming moment of pure love for that girl and I was so proud of her. That got me teary. Thinking about when she was little like that and how fast time has gone. So cliche right? It used to bug me when old ladies would tell me to enjoy my time while they were young because they grow so fast. And here I am taking her to college-now I am the one telling young moms to enjoy the time!

This picture is of Lexi in a different dance outfit, but at the same age as "Pretty Little Ponies".



I didn't cry when she went to kindergarten. I was so EXCITED for her! That's exactly how I felt dropping her of at BYUI. I knew she was ready. I knew she'd be OK, more than OK-she was going to LOVE it! I never cried with any of my kids starting kindergarten. I thought maybe I would with Jacob since he's my baby, but again, I was just EXCITED for him! I guess if you have a kid that is shy or somehow not ready for school, then you'd cry. You'd be afraid for them. But she's good. She's going to love love love it.

This is Lexi on her first day of kindergarten. She LOVED her shirt. She wanted to wear it every day. This is also the age she told me she wanted to cut her hair. Sigh...such pretty long black hair...
I guess she had her own opinions even then!


Here is Lexi with her stuff INSIDE my dad's truck

and here she is with her stuff outside the truck cab! Oh, she was SO WORRIED that she had too much stuff!

but it all fit just fine. My mom made her this cute quilt out of Tshirts Lexi wore in High School. She is going to LOVE college life!

3 comments:

Pam said...

She WILL love it! She loves EVERYTHING and we love her. Here's to a great year!

Laura said...

Excited is the word! She is such a darling girl, it was fun to look through all those old photos.

Julia Davis said...

Cute Lex. She is honestly one of my very favorite people. And I think she owes soooo much of that to her amazing parents. Honestly. How exciting for her. Congrats all!