The idea is that you display this poster the week before a birthday at your house. The first line shows whose birthday it is. I took a baby picture of each member of my family and wrote their name on it. I stick it on with velcro at this spot.
The next line is a count down to the birthday. Your child changes the number every day.
The next line I will change next year. The lady from the blog told me not to worry about asking the birthday kid what they want for dinner every night until the big day. Her kids requested chicken nuggets and cereal. My kids requested Steak and homemade pizza. Next year I'll make a new one and omit this spot. But on the back I'll make a spot that gives them the opportunity to plan the menu for the actual day.
The next line shows an activity card to be done, one a day. One is a special FHE night where we talk about the day that child was born and watch a home movie of that day. Another offers a special date with mom and dad. A third they get to choose a family activity to do.
Another tells them to wear the birthday hat for the day.
another tells the child to get the house ready for their birthday including put the birthday pillowcase on,
hang the birthday banner (I just bought this one. You could make one too.)
Put the birthday chair cover on. (Thanks to Carrie Lowe and her magnificent sewing skills.) The child also gets to choose where they sit at the table for the week.
And hang the birthday wreath.
I must admit that making the birthday wreath was super intimidating. Remember that I am NOT crafty. Anything crafty I've ever attempted has turned out like crap. But this was EASY. You just buy a straw wreath, 2 big bags of balloons, u-shaped floral pins and a garland.
Stack balloons alternating back and forth on a u-pin. Stick the pin into the straw and it "poofs" out like a flower. I put these all around and then wrap the garland around. I also put a mini-pic of the child onto a colorful stick to put into the wreath so that people coming to my house will know whose birthday is being celebrated.
The back of the poster is for the actual day of the birthday. You move the baby picture over to this side. This is where next year I will put a section about what they want for Breakfast, lunch and dinner that day.
The birthday week idea has been a huge hit at our house. Maybe I'm the type of mom that has to force myself to do fun things for my kids! I'd change the cooking every night thing, but other than that it is such a fun new tradition. I only wish I'd started years ago when my girls were younger. If you want to try to do this let me know and I can try to send you my files. What do you think?
3 comments:
Love all the birthday traditions at your house! Thanks for the inspiration! My kids love having a vinyl table cloth to write birthday wishes on too.
I saw all these in person and they truly do make for a great week long celebration. Great Job Nicki. I wish I had them when my kids were younger. And I wish I could make posters just like yours.
Nikki,that wreath is darling!!! Where was that idea from? Was that secrets of a supper mommy too? I think you need to do a class at the reunion this week!
Post a Comment